Dr. Tara Tappuni is a general implant dentist providing implant therapy for patients in Thornhill, Vaughan and North York, Toronto. Dr. Tappuni has significant training and experience in the different stages of implant treatment. If you have one or more missing teeth, you may benefit from implants to restore your natural smile. Come in for a free consultation to find out if implants are right for you.
What are Implants?
Implants are titanium screws that are placed in the jaw bone where a tooth has been lost. The implant is designed to act as the root of the missing tooth. A customized prosthetic tooth that matches the adjacent teeth is then attached to the implant to mimic the tooth that has been lost.
Implants are becoming the standard of care when replacing missing teeth. With their 97% high success rate, longevity, comfort level and natural-looking results, they are the best way to replace missing teeth. Utilizing her diagnostic and surgical experience in the field, Dr. Tappuni can precisely and comfortably complete both the surgical and prosthetic aspects of implant procedures.
How does it work?
1. An initial consultation is needed to examine your teeth and gums and to evaluate the density and quantity of bone.
2. The implant is placed within the bone of the missing tooth. This is usually a pain-free process and most patient have little to no discomfort.
3. Depending on the surgical circumstances, a healing period of 4-6 months is observed. During this time, the implant becomes well-anchored to the surrounding bone in a process called osseointegration.
4. Following the healing period, a crown (prosthetic tooth) that matches the adjacent teeth is fabricated to fit onto the implant.
Advantages of Implants:
1. Implants are strong and durable
2. Cavity-resistant and stable foundation to crowns and bridges
3. Natural looking tooth that can be brushed and flossed the same way as regular teeth
4. No compromise is made to adjacent teeth
5. The implant will prevent surrounding bone from resorbing
6. Very high 97% success rate
7. Implants can offer a fixed (non-removable) solution to tooth loss.
How much does it cost?
Depending on the specific tooth, the cost for the implant plus the crown is approximately $4,000.